Warehousing & Distribution
- A comprehensive learning programme to enhance the skills of prospective storekeepers, warehouse personnel and logistics managers. The course provides a detailed overview of the complete supply chain management process.
- Instruction is highly participative, with the emphasis on case studies and group work.
- Our Training Facilitators are experienced senior managers within the supply chain profession.
4 days full-time (weekdays) or 12 weeks part-time (Saturday mornings) or 2-12 months by correspondence. The average learner will need approximately 145 hours (15 notional credits), consisting of 48 hours of tuition and 96 hours for readings and assignments, to successfully complete the programme.
12 written assignments (one following the completion of each learning module) and 1 final written examination.
MERseta accreditation number 17-QA/ACC/0724/12. The abovementioned course is aligned with SAQA Qualification ID number 83989 NLRD Number 57712 with qualification title: Manufacturing Control.
- Acquire the knowledge and tools of new warehousing and distribution management techniques.
- Emphasize the importance of professional warehouse and distribution management.
- Illustrate the importance of warehouse and distribution management in the organization.
- Introduction To Physical Distribution: Interfaces & environment; functional areas; systems design & measurement; decision making; organization and administrative costing; components of physical distribution systems; effect on marketing.
- Customer Service & Transport Operations: Customer service mix; purchasing objectives; forecasting; management focus; transport economics; transport alternatives; urbanization; deregulation; distribution tactics and strategies.
- Distribution Packaging & Cost Analysis: Movement and storage; integrated logistics; transport economics; cost of physical distribution; budget objectives;fixed, flexible, zero-level and capital budgeting.
- Organisation & Management Of Supply Chain: Organization structures; new management style; systems approach; co-ordination of PDM process; external factors; internal trends; use of computers; scheduling; opportunities for cost reduction; optional use of resources.
- Analysis And Decision Making: Principles of decision making; logical thinking process; operational decision making; decision criteria; Hurwicz.
- Distribution Requirements Planning: What is DRP; analysis and benefits of DRP; inventory policy and management; warehouse functions; storage alternatives; warehouse location patterns; warehouse justification.
- Objectives & Types Of Warehousing: Warehousing -A part of materials management; purpose and objectives of warehousing; warehousing imports; causes and costs of delay; shipment, specification, packaging, documentation; warehousing at seaports and at airports.
- Functions Of Warehousing: Identifying, inspecting & receiving goods; storing goods; storage control; handling goods; order selection and issue; packaging & dispatch; damaged & obsolete goods; storing hazardous goods; maintaining equipment.
- Planning, Building & Design Of Warehouses: Planning a new warehouse; storage needs; storage costs; feasibility study; inventory value; location; designing warehouse layout; flow of materials; stockyard layout; loading/unloading docks; designing the building.
- Warehouse Costs And Economics: Land and site costs; design costs; building costs; costs of fixed storage facilities; economics of warehouse operation; fixed and variable costs; stockholding costs; monitoring the use of warehouse space.
- Warehouse Management: Administrative responsibilities; controlling stock; warehousing documents, records & reports; stocktaking; audits; warehouse operations or storage manual; managing warehouse personnel; manpower requirements; performance evaluation; staff training & development.
- Case Studies: Physical distribution/supply chain management; warehousing management; location and design of a warehouse.
Further information regarding latest course dates for full-time and part-time enrolment, course fees, enrolment forms and any other queries, please contact:
Cape Town: 021 855 2693
Johannesburg : 011 865 5443
The content of this brochure, accurate at time of going to print, is subject to change without notification due to legislation, market requirements or any other reason. Due to legislative action pending at the time of print, the terms “Programme”, “Diploma” and “Advanced Diploma” may require alteration due to Government requirement. PSM College reserves the right to change the course content without notice.